Sunday, October 26, 2014

Blog Post #10 - What Can We Learn From Mrs. Cassidy?

Little Kids, Big Potential


Little Kids...Big Potential

As I watched this video, I was amazed at all of the different ways Mrs. Cassidy has introduced technology to her first graders. She is using the typical routes like her smart board, but she is also using new ideas. This is the first time I've seen a Nintendo DS used in a classroom! I am also amazed at the number of teachers we have seen this semester interviewing professionals via Skype. I guess I underestimate the power of the internet. It's easy to think that they wouldn't have time or the desire to do an interview with an elementary classroom, but you never know until you ask. I'll definitely have to remember that.

Interview with Kathy Cassidy Part 1
Interview with Kathy Cassidy Part 2
Interview with Kathy Cassidy Part 3

Mrs. Cassidy, a first grade teacher in Canada, was interviewed by Dr. Strange and a group of his students. During the interview, Mrs. Cassidy explained her approach to using technology in her classroom. I was surprised to hear that she basically started from scratch. With very little knowledge on the subject, she decided to learn all that she could about technology in order to make her classroom a better learning environment for her students. That took some guts. It puts this semester in a whole new perspective for me. Students in her classroom are blogging, using wikis, and even skyping with other classes across North America. Even with first grade students, she is seeing success with this approach. It's encouraging for me to know that no matter what grade I end up teaching, there will be a way to integrate what I have learned this semester. Also, I will have teachers like Mrs. Cassidy who went before me and can offer advice or ideas. I love that she begins by teaching her students how to be safe online. As a parent, that would be my first concern. I believe that, just like the parents of Mrs. Cassidy's students, parents of the children I someday teach will grow to enjoy viewing their children's work online.

2 comments:

  1. Which of her techniques and which technologies might you use in your future classroom? Also, what are some impediments you might face, and how would you address them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca, I guess I mentioned this sort of as an afterthought, but I would like to use Skype and a class blog in my future classroom. A potential issue with the Skype interviews would be class participation. To combat this, I would thoroughly discuss the topic and/or the guest's work and ask my students to submit two questions that they would like to ask our guest. This way, they will be prepared for discussion and ready to go with their question(s).

    ReplyDelete