Sunday, August 24, 2014

Post #1 What About EDM 310?!

The Learning Pyramid

I am new to the College of Education. This is only my second semester and, already, I have heard numerous "horror stories" about EDM 310. I knew it was going to be a lot of work and very time consuming. As I mentioned before, I have a five year old son, and I am planning a wedding. I also have a full-time job outside of school, so I was nervous when I signed up to take this course. I knew I would need plenty of time, so I only signed up for one other class this semester.
I heard from students who have already completed this course that it takes a lot of time. So far it seems that writing the blog posts is fairly easy. Most of my time is spent trying to figure out HTML coding. For example, it took me a good fifteen minutes to figure out how to get these paragraphs to indent! That is definitely the most challenging part of EDM 310 so far. I feel that I know a good bit about computers, but working with this format is like learning a foreign language. The best way for me to address this aspect is to jump in with both feet. It is already obvious to me that it is up to me to succeed in this course.
My educational career thus far has been consistent in that it has been "burp-back learning," as Dr. Strange calls it. I am comfortable with that format. My brain has even been trained to take two or three pieces of information, put them together, and "burp" them back up to answer a trickier question. I can already tell that learning by doing is going to be the most effective method in this class. Hopefully in my next post, I will remember how to indent at the beginning of a paragraph.


2 comments:

  1. Julie Cornelson I have heard many of the same things about this class. That is why i am only taking the minimum amount of hours i need in school. I also to have a full time job that I told them that I might need less hours for me to complete this class with an A. I do agree that this way of learning will be far more helpful for us to become great teachers, because I myself have had many classes where all they do is teach burp back knowledge. Now that the first two weeks have been done I hope that this class will give us the best way to use technology that we can apply to the children that we may one day teach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing great so far! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete